Management Development Institute Gurgaon or MDI Gurgaon, as it is commonly known in MBA circles, is amongst the top B-Schools in India and was ranked 14th in CareerAnna B-School Rankings. MDI Gurgaon was established as an autonomous institution in the year 1973. It was established in collaboration with many global institutions such as UNDP, UNIDO, World Bank and ILO. It was established with an initial grant received from KFW, West Germany and the active support of Industrial Finance Corporation of India, commonly known as the IFCI. Though MDI Gurgaon was started in 1973, full time PGDM course was started only in 1994.
MDI in Rankings
MDI Gurgaon has constantly been ranked amongst the top 10 MBA institutes in India by several rankings.
Some of its recent rankings include:
- Ranked 8th by Business Today Rankings 2013
- Rank 14th by CareerAnna B-School Rankings 2013
- Rank 6th by CNN-IBN 2012 Rankings
- Ranked 6th by Outlook Magazine in 2011 rankings
According to the final placement report published by MDI Gurgaon for 2013, 15% of the batch received PPO’s while 20% of the batch got lateral placements. The remaining 65% of the batch was placed in the final placement process. Companies from nearly every industry picked students from the MDI Campus:- Banking, Financial Services, Investment Banking, Consulting, FMCG, IT, Retail, Manufacturing, Telecommunications, Media and Pharmaceuticals. In total, 74 regular companies and 84+ New Companies recruited students from the batch of 2011-2013 from MDI Gurgaon.
Coming to the placement figures, the following table shows the highest salary, the average salary and the median salary for the PGPM, PGP-HR and PGP-IM courses.
MDI has also released the summer placement report for its batch of 2013-2015. According to the report, Sales & Marketing was the most preferred field with approximately 48% students accepting their internship in Sales & Marketing Profile. With 23%, Finance was the second most preferred choice. Operations followed with 14%.
MDI Admission Procedure
The admission procedure for MDI Gurgaon is as follows:
1) The first step in the selection procedure is to appear for CAT exam. CAT or Common Admission Test is an MBA entrance exam conducted by IIMs in order to select students for their management programmes. Many other institutes apart from the IIM’s accept CAT scores. MDI Gurgaon is one of them. Foreign/NRI/PIO applicants can be considered for admission on the basis of their valid GMAT scores.
2) Unlike the IIM’s, non-IIM institutes have separate Application forms. The candidates need to buy the application form for MDI Gurgaon, fill it and send it back to MDI before the deadline. MDI has also started accepting online forms now. This is an important step as candidates who do not fill the application form won’t be considered for admissions.
2) After CAT scores are out, students are shortlisted for 2nd stage of the admission process based on CAT Score and the details mentioned in the application form. The shortlisting criteria keeps on changing nearly every year but is mostly similar. The next stage consists of Group Discussions and Personal Interviews that are held between February to April in Bangalore, Gurgaon, Kolkata, Hyderabad and Mumbai.
4) Students are then selected for the final offer based on their CAT scores, Group Discussion scores and Personal Interview Scores.
Number of seats
MDI Gurgaon does not give any reservation to any group. The number of seats for MDI Gurgaon are as follows:
PGPM – 240
PGPHR – 60
PGPIM – 30 (PGPIM seats may vary up to 35)
Famous Alumni of MDI Gurgaon
|Ajay Atreya||Vice President, TCS E-Serve Ltd.|
|Amit Khanna||Partner, Accenture Management Consulting|
|Amit Pande||Retail Director, Louis Philippe|
|Anand Narang||Marketing & Solutions Director, Huawei|
|Ananta Potturi||Director, Conduria|
|Ankit Gupta||AVP, Treasury (Asset Liability Management), Deutsche Bank|
|Archana Gopinath||Associate VP, ICICI Prudential AMC Ltd.|
|Arvind Mathur||Digitize Quality Leader, P&G|
|Ashish Agrawal||VP (Investments), India Alternatives|
|Chanakya Misra||Vice President – International Business, Glenmark Pharmaceuticals|
|Gaurav Gupta||Director & Head of Human Resources, Carrefour India|
|Gaurav Sabharwal||AVP(International Brands), PernodRicard India|
|Gautam Viswanathan||Sr. VP & Area Head (Global Banking & Financial Institutions Group Sales), HSBC|
|Girish Aivalli||Country General Director, Archer Daniels Midland, India|
|Harsh Kumar||FA & CAO / Traffic, Indian Railways (Northern Railway)|
|Jasmeet Chadha||Director (Alernate Investment Solutions), UBS|
|Nitin Govila||Managing Director-Asia Pacific, Onduline Group|
|Pradeep Malhotra||SVP & Head- Integrated Business, ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Co. Ltd.|
|Prakash Prabhu||VP &Zonal Head – South (Global Markets Group), Indusind Bank|
|Purusharth Tripathi||Regional Account Delivery Executive for Asia & AMET, HP|
|R. Rajagopal||Regional Head – North, MME, Citibank India|
|R. Vijay Kumar||Director, Calyon Corporation & Investment Bank|
|Rahul Choudhary||VP, Axis Bank Ltd.|
|Rohit Mittal||Senior Energy Specialist, The World Bank|
|Sanjay Khare||General Manager, MTNL|
|Sandeep Thapliyal||MD, Religare Capital Markets Ltd.|
|Sanjay Verma||CEO – Asia Pacific, Cushman & Wakefield|
|Saurabh Ray||Head – Online Sales and Operations, Google|
|Sharat Goyal||Investment Director, AMP Capital Investors|
|Sreedhar Prasad||Director – Advisory Services , KPMG|
|Srinivas N||VP – Mobile Financial Solutions, Comviva Technologies Ltd.|
|Yatin Pahwa||VP – Product Strategy & Business Development, Deutsche Telekom|
|Swati Jain||Director & Head of Institutional Sales, IIFL Wealth (UK) Ltd|
|Vijay Tangirala||Director – Corporate & Institutional Relationships, ANZ Capital|
|Vikas Bajaj||Joint MD, Bajaj Motors Limited|
|Vishal Bhatia||Marketing Director, Reckitt Benckiser|
|Vivek Raina||Director – Asia Pacific, Oracle|
Stay tuned to CareerAnna to know more about top B-Schools. Other B-School profiles that may interest you:
- IIM Ahmedabad
- IIM Calcutta
- IIM Bangalore
- XLRI Jamshedpur
- JBIMS Mumbai
- IIM Lucknow
- IIM Kozhikode
- FMS Delhi
- S P Jain Mumbai
- NITIE Mumbai
- NMIMS Mumbai