B-school Placements 2019: The Placement Season 2019 for various B-schools concluded recently, with many of them witnessing 100% placements and securing higher salary packages than the previous years’ placements. This clearly shows that the B-Schools are relatively immune to the business cycle, despite the job market experiencing constant fluctuations at various levels of hiring.
20 lakh packages common in top B-schools
The key indicator of the average job scenario in B-Schools is the Average Salary, which has seen a rise in the recent placement season. For the graduating class of 2019, the average annual package of Rs. 20 lakhs was the new normal not only for the premier business schools, but for most management institutes.
In Placement Season 2019, four business schools, namely, Management Development Institute (MDI), Gurgaon; Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Kozhikode; Indian Institute of Foreign Trade (IIFT), Delhi and Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS) Mumbai crossed the 20 LPA mark, further proving that top talent will always be in demand regardless of a lacklustre job market.
As per a Campus Salary Hiring and Employment report by online assessments platform Mettl, the 20 LPA ‘normal’ compares with the average salary of 9.5 LPA obtained by management graduates in India.
The Average Salaries recorded in the top 3 IIMs – Ahmedabad, Bangalore and Calcutta — in 2018 were Rs 22.7- 24.4 lakh respectively.
Some non-IIMs, like SP Jain Institute of Management and Research (SPJIMR) and Xavier School of Management (XLRI) have average salaries of above Rs 20 lakh.
The Biz Whiz
- There is a 20-25% rise in the number of companies breaching the 20 LPA average salary mark this year.
- TISS Mumbai recorded a 25% increase in companies paying over 20 LPA.
- At MDI Gurgaon, 55 companies reportedly paid salaries of 20 LPA and above, compared to the previous year mark of 46 companies.
- IIFT Delhi recorded a whopping 78% increase in the number of companies paying over 20 LPA. The figure jumped from 27 companies to 48 this time around. The number of offers also grew around 54%, from 87 offers to 134 offers in the current year.
- Campus Placement sources report Airtel, Amazon, Asian Paints, Deloitte, Colgate Palmolive, Citibank,, Oyo Rooms, Avendus, Bajaj Auto, Dell EMC, Deloitte India, Flipkart, ITC, Lodha Group, L’Oréal, Mahindra & Mahindra, Marico, Nestlé, Reckitt Benckiser, Reliance Industries, Samsung R&D, Oyo Rooms, Rivigo, Swiggy, TAS and Uber among recruiters paying excess of 20 LPA to students.
- IIM Kozhikode saw companies like McKinsey, Bain, BCG, Microsoft and Colgate Palmolive offering salary packages above 30 LPA.
A-list Hires from India’s B-schools
|Name of the School||Average Salary in 2019||Average Salary in 2018|
|Name of the Company||Highest CTC offered|
|Google, Amazon||INR 40 LPA +|
|Colgate Palmolive, Avendus, BCG, Mckinsey||INR 30 LPA – 40 LPA +|
|P&G, Deloitte, Reckitt Benckiser, Marico, Airtel, Godrej, ITC, Oyo, MakeMyTrip, Swiggy, Lodha Group||INR 20 LPA-30 LPA +|
Other Prominent Recruiters
Accenture, Amazon, The Boston Consulting Group, Bain & Company, Flipkart, Oyo, AT Kearney among others.
Sectors offering the highest number of placement offers
Consulting and Finance witnessed a surge in the number of offers in this Placement Season, viz;
- Consulting companies made 161 offers at IIM Bangalore.
- Consulting devoured 30%, 32% and 29% of the total batch at IIM Kozhikode, IIM Lucknow and IIM Calcutta.
- Accenture Strategy made the most (24) offers at IIM Ahmedabad in IIM Ahmedabad Placements 2019, followed by BCG with 20 offers.
Sales and Marketing ride strong, gains for E-Commerce
- Sales at Marketing dominated at XLRI with 27% offers.
- E-commerce companies took 17% of the batch at SPJIMR, and 15% at IIM Lucknow.
- FMS Delhi recorded a 140% increase in E-commerce/IT/Operations roles compared to the previous year.
Investment Banking jobs return to B-Schools, salaries shoot by 20% in Indian B-schools
While the IIMs do not reveal salary details, a MoneyControl report says that there has been observed a 18%-20% increase in the compensation package offered to students. Notably, offers from investment banks have been negligible for the past two years.
At IIM Ahmedabad, Avendus was the largest recruiter among investment banks rolling out 9 offers in IIM Ahmedabad Placements 2019. Also, Private Equity & Venture Capital (PE/VC) witnessed a 200% increase in participating firms as compared to 2018, with recruiters like Matrix Partners and SAIF Partners joining the bandwagon.
Banking, Financial Services & Insurance (BFSI) recruiters included firms like American Express and FinIQ. Sales and Marketing roles were offered by HUL, Nestle, P&G, Reckitt Benckiser and Wipro Consumer Care among others.
At XLRI, the highest offer stood at 50 LPA, also from the BFSI sector.
The article clearly highlights that the B-Schools are thriving regardless of the market conditions, both in terms of Placements and even Summer Internships which have also recorded around Rs, 1 lakh increase. Therefore, the B-Schools and their grads are in a completely win-win situation! Seems like the war for top talent will grow intense in the coming years, in turn blessing the B-Schools and their students!