The Common Admission Test (CAT) is the entrance examination to secure admission into the Indian Institute of Management (IIM) for the 2-year full-time residential Post-Graduate Diploma in Business Administration (PGDBA). An entry into any one of the IIMs means assuring oneself of an excellent start in the private sector corporate career. The 5 old IIMs are Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Kolkata, Lucknow, Kozhikode. Along with the 5 older ones, 15 new IIMs have been established in Udaipur, Indore, Rohtak, Shillong, Ranchi, Trichy and other places for all the MBA aspirants. All the new IIMs follow a common admission process called CAP 2019 for selected and shortlisting of candidates. In this article, we bring to you all that you have to know about CAP 2019. The entry-level exam for all of these IIMs is CAT, which is well-known as one of the most difficult tests in the country.
Intake for the 2019-2021 batch
|Indian Institute of Management (IIM)||Intake for 2019-2021 batch|
Common Admission Procedure (CAP 2019)
The CAP is the sequence taken by the IIMs once the CAT results are announced. It starts from the stage of shortlisting of the candidates who have cleared the CAT test to the allocation of the seat to the candidate in the particular IIM.
It should be noted that clearing of CAT score is just one part of the selection procedure. It does not ensure that the candidate will secure the seat. There are more selection rounds and it is essential to clear all these rounds before the final seat confirmation.
With several new IIMs being established in the years from 2009 to 2016, they have set up their own admission procedure which is based on CAT scores and the CAP 2019. The top CAT scorers get the call for the top 4 to 5 IIM’s and the rest are assigned to the remaining as per their score.
The CAP 2019 rules for the 9 new IIMs will follow more or less the same rules as was followed for CAP 2018. They can be listed down as follows:
- The individual IIM’s will prepare the shortlisted names based on certain criteria. The combined list will be sent to IIM Ranchi which will follow the CAP 2019 for all the IIMs.
- From this combined list, candidates will be called for the Writing Ability Test (WAT), Group Discussion (GD), and Personal Interview (PI).
- Admission status is displayed on the Common admission website. Normally this happens in the last week of January.
- Any change of center request by the candidates is solely on the discretion of IIM Ranchi admission cell committee.
- The WAT, PI will be conducted by the IIMs combined and on a common mode. (The GD is not applicable for the new IIM’s).
- Each IIM will combine the following scores i.e. WAT, PI, CAT 2018, Profile of those candidates shortlisted by them and make their individual merit list and after that make the final offers to the candidates.
- The final list of the candidates will be derived by the particular IIM according to its own criteria and the same will be displayed on its respective websites.
- Candidates are informed that going through the CAP 2019- WAT &PI is mandatory for all the shortlisted candidates. The scores of the older IIM’s will not in any way be considered.
It is to be noted that the CAP 2019 dates are normally fixed after a gap of 2 weeks from the CAT 2018 results announcements so that candidates get time to prepare. The shortlisted candidates will get the confirmation dates on their emails. The exam centers for CAP 2019 are Mumbai, Delhi, Banglore, Kolkata, and Chennai.
CAT 2018 Results
The IIM CAT 2018 results has been announced on 5th January 2019. The list of shortlisted candidates for Writing Ability Test (WAT), Group Discussion(GD) and Personal Interview (PI) will be announced in the last week of January 2019.
Components of New IIMs CAP 2019
Common Admission Process (CAP) 2019 for 9 or 11 new IIMs will consist of two components as the final selection round called the final admission stage. The shortlisted candidates for CAP 2019 will be required to appear for the following:
- Common Written Analysis Test (WAT)
- Personal Interview (PI)
All the 9 or 11 CAP participating new IIMs have similar shortlisting criteria but will announce their shortlisting criteria independent of others and despite going for Common Admission Process (CAP 2019), final merit list will be generated by each of them separately in their official website.
Key Steps in CAP 2019
- Shortlisting by the Individual IIMs.
- Each IIM sends the shortlist to CAP 2019 Coordinator – IIM Ranchi.
- IIM Ranchi creates the Final List of Shortlisted Candidates for CAP 2019 Calls.
- Candidates take part in the PI & WAT Process.
- CAP 2019 Scores will be sent by IIM Ranchi to participating IIMs.
- All the IIMs prepare their own Final Admission List.
CAP 2019 Centres
The CAP 2019 comprising of Personal Interview and Written Analysis Test will be conducted at New Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru, Chennai, and Kolkata. The exact date for PI & WAT will be communicated to the short-listed candidates by IIM Ranchi which is Co-ordinating CAP 2019 for the new IIMs.
Preparing for the IIMs is certainly extremely difficult, to say the least. But the toil is worth every bit since the IIMs are among the best business schools in the world. So here’s wishing all the aspirants the very best for their endeavors in becoming the top managers in the future.