CAT 2019 Exam: Success in the CAT 2019 Exam depends on your understanding of the Detailed CAT 2019 Syllabus and Exam Pattern. Without having proper knowledge, you can land into serious trouble.
And much to your surprise, you will not realize this until you write CAT 2019 and waste an attempt. So, here we are with a detailed article on the CAT 2019 Syllabus and Exam Pattern to help you comprehend the syllabus and identify your own strengths and weaknesses.
CAT 2019 Syllabus: Details
The CAT 2019 Syllabus is split into 3 sections. These are Quantitative Aptitude (abbreviated as QA), Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (abbreviated as DILR) and Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension (abbreviated as VARC).
|CAT 2019 Exam Sections||Sectional Duration||No. of Questions|
|Verbal & Reading Comprehension||1 hour||34|
|Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning||1 hour||32|
|Quantitative Ability||1 hour||34|
Each section has a long list of topics. While the long list might sound tough to many, but it is actually an added advantage. Wondering why? Because the long list gives you options to explore your strengths and weaknesses.
You can select topics from the CAT 2019 Syllabus which you want to prepare and go ahead with your CAT 2019 Exam preparation. The complete list of topics for CAT 2019 Syllabus is as follows:
- Quantitative Aptitude – Geometry, HCF & LCM, Averages, Trigonometry, Algebra, Partnership(Accounts), Mensuration, Profit & Loss, Time-Speed-Distance, Ratios and Proportion, In-equations Quadratic and linear equations, Surds and Indices, Number system, Geometric Progression, Inequalities, Work and time, Percentages, Logarithms.
- Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning – Blood Relations, Series, Proposition, Direction Sense, Coding-Decoding, Assumptions, Puzzles, Clocks and Calendars, Statements, Data Arrangement, Family Tree, Binary Logic, Seating Arrangement, Venn Diagram, Sets, Data Structures, Syllogism, Tables, Pie Charts, Caselets, Bars, Line Graphs, Data Sufficiency.
- Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension – Fill in the blanks, Verbal Reasoning, Sentence completion, Grammar, Syllogisms, Jumbled paragraphs, Para completion and inference, Contextual usage, Foreign language words used in English, Reading Comprehension, Analogies, Sentence correction, Verbal logic, Different usage of same word, Idioms, Para jumbles, Antonyms and One word substitution.
As a whole, the CAT 2019 Syllabus is very vast. Experts would advise you not to bank upon preparing all the topics given in the syllabus. Instead, you can work on the main topics which help you answer maximum questions.
The main topics of each section for CAT 2019 Syllabus are given as follows:
- Quantitative Aptitude – Number System, Geometry, Algebra, Mensuration, Time and Work.
- Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning – Seating Arrangement, Blood Relation, Syllogism, Tables, Graphs, Data Caselets.
- Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension – Para-jumbles & para-summary, sentence completion, inferences, RC passages-based questions.
The main topics will help you to sail through the CAT 2019 Exam easily. For scoring a good percentile to get into the top IIMs, you need to add more topics to your existing topics list.
CAT 2019 Exam: Complete Exam Pattern
The CAT 2019 Exam is completely an Online Test. English is the medium of the language of exam for all the candidates. The candidates appearing for the CAT 2019 Exam neither have the choice to select the section they want to start with nor do they have the choice to switch over sections in between.
CAT 2019 Question Paper chronology, which requires a candidate to attempt Section 1, then Section 2 and then Section 3, has to be followed by everyone writing CAT 2019 Exam. The chronological order is as follows:
- Section 1 – Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension,
- Section 2 – Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning, and
- Section 3 – Quantitative Aptitude.
The total duration of the CAT 2019 Exam is 180 minutes (3 hours) with 60 minutes allotted to each of the three sections. This is called the sectional limit of CAT 2019 exam.
While attempting questions from one section, you cannot have a look at questions from the other sections. Once the time allotted to one section is over, you can head over to the next section. The screen automatically shifts to the next section.
CAT 2019: Question Distribution
CAT 2019 Exam Paper will comprise a total of 100 questions. The 100 questions will be divided into three sections as follows:
- Quantitative Aptitude – 34 questions
- Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning – 32 questions
- Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension– 34 questions
These 100 questions that make up the CAT 2019 Exam are of two types – MCQs and non-MCQs. MCQ stands for Multiple Choice Questions. Each MCQ has 4 options to choose from. And each question requires the answer to be typed on the screen.
CAT 2019 Exam: Marking Scheme
- Each question in CAT 2019 exam carries 3 marks. Thus, the maximum marks in CAT 2019 exam are 300. There is a variation in the marking pattern for MCQs and non-MCQs.
- For MCQs, each correct answer adds 3 marks and each incorrect answer takes away 1 mark. For non-MCQs, each correct answer adds 3 marks, while there is no negative marking for the incorrect answers.
- For non-attempted questions in the entire CAT 2019 Exam paper, there will be no addition or deduction of marks from the overall score.
CAT 2019 Exam: Points to remember!
There are certain important test day Rules and Regulations for CAT 2019. You must keep them in mind, so as to ensure that you don’t land into trouble on the test day.
- Watches, cell phones, calculators and other such electronic gadgets are prohibited inside the exam hall. An onscreen clock will help candidates keep a check on time. Usage of a basic onscreen calculator will be allowed for computation in CAT 2019 Exam.
- A rough paper will be provided for rough work. It has to be submitted at the Exam Center as soon as the exam gets over. No other paper except the CAT 2019 Admit card and ID proof will be allowed inside the examination hall.
- Candidates must sit in their designated area. Any movement or misplaced position will lead to disqualification from the exam itself. All computer screens will switch on at the same time and the exam will end at the same time.
The CAT 2019 Exam is a national-level entrance exam which generally makes the candidates’ go through an immense heart-wrenching, nerve-wracking and mind-numbing phase and how! This is so because the B-school that one choose to go to helps decide their entire career trajectory. Therefore, the CAT 2019 Exam day would be the deciding day when all the blood and sweat that went into the preparation of CAT 2019 Exam would yield results, in the form of an excellent cut-off enough to dance your way through your dream B-school.
CAT 2019 Exam Related Articles
|CAT 2019 Results||CAT 2019 Marks vs Percentile|
|CAT 2019 Cutoff||IIM Call Predictor|
|CAT 2019 Admit Card||IIM Selection Procedure|
|CAT 2019 Syllabus||CAT 2019 Eligibility Criteria|