Starting off with our series of Articles on CAT 2021, we bring to you the detailed CAT 2021 Syllabus for CAT 2021 Examination. Though there is no officially defined Syllabus, however we bring to you an exclusively compiled list of Complete and Important topics from the CAT 2021 Syllabus.
CAT 2021 Syllabus: Overview
The CAT 2021 Syllabus is extremely vast and generalised. The IIMs, the rotating body for the CAT Exam every year, does not restrict itself to a fixed syllabus. However, the questions covered are mostly from the middle school Maths and English topics.
This article will provide you with the latest CAT 2021 Syllabus. Before heading straight to the CAT 2021 Syllabus format, one must understand why the candidates are tested on certain areas like Quantitative Ability, Verbal Ability, Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning. Given below are topics highlights from the CAT 2021 Syllabus, curated just for you.
CAT 2021 Syllabus: Complete-list of Topics
For any fresh aspirants aiming to write CAT 2021 for the first time this fall, we bring to you the detailed CAT 2021 Syllabus:
The CAT 2021 Syllabus is split into 3 sections. These are Quantitative Aptitude (abbreviated as QA), Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (abbreviated as DILR) and Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension (abbreviated as VARC).
The complete list of topics for CAT 2021 Syllabus is as follows:
- Quantitative Aptitude – Geometry, HCF & LCM, Averages, Trigonometry, Algebra, Partnership(Accounts), Mensuration, Profit & Loss, Time-Speed-Distance, Ratios and Proportion, In-equations Quadratic and linear equations, Surds and Indices, Number system, Geometric Progression, Inequalities, Work and time, Percentages, Logarithms.
- Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning – Blood Relations, Series, Proposition, Direction Sense, Coding-Decoding, Assumptions, Puzzles, Clocks and Calendars, Statements, Data Arrangement, Family Tree, Binary Logic, Seating Arrangement, Venn Diagram, Sets, Data Structures, Syllogism, Tables, Pie Charts, Caselets, Bars, Line Graphs, Data Sufficiency.
- Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension – Fill in the blanks, Verbal Reasoning, Sentence completion, Grammar, Syllogisms, Jumbled paragraphs, Para completion and inference, Contextual usage, Foreign language words used in English, Reading Comprehension, Analogies, Sentence correction, Verbal logic, Different usage of same word, Idioms, Para jumbles, Antonyms and One word substitution.
CAT 2021 Syllabus: Important Topics
|Quantitative Aptitude||Number System, Geometry, Algebra, Mensuration, Time and Work|
|Logical Reasoning & Data Interpretation||Seating Arrangement, Blood Relation, Syllogism, Tables, Graphs, Data Caselets|
|Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension||Para-jumbles & para-summary, sentence completion, inferences, RC passages based questions.|
CAT 2021 Syllabus: Quantitative Aptitude
- In this section, there are a few topics which are extremely crucial and come every year in the CAT Exam.
- In this section, 26 questions are asked of which 6-8 questions are TITA based. Some of the most important syllabus topics for CAT 2021 with their respective weightage are given below:
|Topic Name||Expected No. of Questions|
|Geometry & Mensuration||4-5|
CAT 2021 Syllabus: Verbal Ability and Logical Reasoning
- In this section, 26 questions are included among which 5 questions are TITA based.
- Out of these, the RCs are the majority.
|Topic Name||Expected No. of Questions|
|Reading Comprehension Passage-Based Questions||18|
CAT 2021 Syllabus: Logical Reasoning & Data Interpretation
- In the CAT 2021 LRDI section, 1-2 questions are included with 6-8 TITA based questions.
- All 24 questions are not equally divided among both the section.
- In the LR section, questions from seating arrangement, Logical Deduction, Venn Diagram, mathematical Puzzle, and other puzzles are included.
- In the DI section, tables, graphs and charts, and caselets are included. Questions came in 3-4 sets and therefore, candidates should understand the data sets properly so as to complete the set accurately.
- The CAT 2021 Syllabus does not have any predefined rules or any specific topics from which questions will be asked. Therefore, one must possess good fundamental knowledge of all the aforementioned broad topics to be able to swiftly and accurately work out problems related to respective section topics.
CAT 2021 Exam Pattern
|CAT 2019 Exam Sections||Sectional Duration||No. of Questions|
|Verbal & Reading Comprehension||40 min||26|
|Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning||40 min||24|
|Quantitative Ability||40 min||26|
The CAT 2021 Exam is a national-level entrance exam which generally make the candidates’ go through an immense heart-wrenching, nerve-wracking and mind-numbing phase and how! This is so because the B-school that one choose to go to helps decide their entire career trajectory. Therefore, the CAT 2021 Exam day would be the deciding day when all the blood and sweat that went into the preparation of CAT 2021 Exam would yield results, in the form of an excellent cut-off enough to dance your way through your dream B-school.