DAILY GK UPDATE
- The first copy of the book ‘Uniki’ ( written by Shri Ch Vidyasagar Rao, Governor of Maharashtra) has been received by The President of India, Shri Pranab Mukherjee in Hyderabad today. The book was received by the president from Shri K Chandrashekar Rao, Chief Minister of Telangana.
BUSINESS AND DEVELOPMENT
- Succeeding P S Subramanyam, Commodore C D Balaji (Retd) took charge as the Director of the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) and Programme Director of the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) on 3rd July 2015.Prior to this appointment, Balaji, was Project Director of the LCA’s naval version. He was commissioned into the Indian Navy’s engineering branch in September 1978 and since then, he has specialised in the Naval Aviation Arm.
- Union Minister of State for Environment- Forest and climate change, Prakash Javadekar has launched a web portal for online submission of applications for environment clearance by State Environment Impact Assessment Authorities (SEIAA) for Category B projects in New Delhi. Soon after the launch of the web portal, nineteen states instantly have joined it. The environment clearance web portal raises the levels of transparency and accountability as the clearances will be monitored and carried out effectively on a real time basis.
- Solar Impulse, the aeroplane that is powered only by the sun, has landed in Hawaii after making a historic 7,200km flight across the Pacific from Japan. The distance covered and the time spent in the air – 118 hours – are records for manned, solar-powered flight.
- The Guinness Book of World Records has recognized a record created in Madhya Pradesh on ‘World Hand washing Day ’ in 2014. The mega event was organised to create awareness about hygiene by washing hands with soap. The event was held on 15 October 2014. It was organised in all the 51 districts of Madhya Pradesh in over 13 thousand places.
Four Indian-Americans have been honoured with prestigious Great Immigrants, The Pride of America award 2015. They are among 38 distinguished personalities from more than 30 countries around the world who have been honoured with this year’s award. The award is given by New York-based Carnegie Corporation on the occasion of Independence Day of United States i.e. 4th July.
- Darshan Jain , an Indian-American teacher has been selected for prestigious Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching. He was named for the award by President Barack Obama along with 107 Mathematics and Science teachers across US.
In a revolutionary advancement, Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited ( BSNL) has launched a pre-paid card linked mobile wallet service called Speed Pay. This service allows customers to transfer cash, pay for services as well as withdraw cash of up to Rs 1 lakh. A customer is allowed load money in this service even if he does not have a bank account. The money loaded in the wallet can be transferred to any account and even withdrawn at branches or at BSNL outlets.
- Civil Services Examination result has been declared by Union Public Service Commission . First rank has been secured by Ira Singhal, while Renu Raj has secured the second rank, Nidhi Gupta bagged the third rank and Vandana Rao the fourth rank . A total of 1,236 candidates have been recommended for appointment into the prestigious Indian Administrative Service, Indian Police Service, and Indian Foreign Service and other central services.