Essay Writing forms an important part of Descriptive English Paper in SBI PO Mains. In this article we bring to you SBI PO Essay Writing Tips for Descriptive English to help you all score high in the examination.
SBI PO Essay Writing Tips for Descriptive English
In day to day life we use spoken language to communicate our thoughts, ideas and opinions, but in offices and other public institutions; written communication is the major means for sharing information and opinion. This is why different examinations test at areas like Essay writing to understand if you can effectively communicate through written media. Essays majorly serve as the purpose to test your thinking and analytical ability along with the writing ability.
Select the appropriate topic
Generally all the banking exams will give you three topics on essay writing, out of which you need to select one and the write the essay on. Often the breakup of these three topics is like:
• One topic on banking, economic or financial issue
• Second topic on social awareness and causes
• Third topic would be abstract in nature
Go for the topic on which you have most knowledge – do not select a topic if you do not have much idea about it.
Effective Introduction and Conclusion
Try to be as effective as possible with the introduction and the conclusion of the essay. Both of them have the highest impact as compared to rest of the essay. Having a related quote in the introduction always helps in gaining brownie points, while the crisp and clear conclusion always brings extra marks.
If not related quote, you may also start the introduction by asking few questions from the reader. It also has an awe-inspiring effect if write set of questions are posted for the reader.
Remember that evaluator is checking multiple essays and if you write the similar stuff in similar words like many other aspirants, you will not have any advantage. You should try to be creative in the way you present your thoughts so that it immediately grabs the eye balls of the evaluator and he gets convinced to give you extra marks as compared to other candidates.
Being different with words, with the presentation and the coherence will always fetch you additional marks.
How to write Essay in Banking exams?
List all your ideas / facts about the topic
Write short sentence or some keywords of all of the facts about the topic that you can remember. These facts will eventually be the arguments or statements that you will elaborate on and make a good essay.
Write a central theme for the entire essay
This statement should identify the central theme or the point that you will make in your essay, when it is seen at an overall high level. Avoid writing statements about yourself.
For instance, don’t write “I think” or “The point I will make today is…”
This central theme statement should be specific. When writing about an interpretation, use neutral language to state your opinion. For example: Write “Jawahar Lal Nehru will always be remembered as a great Indian Prime Minister because he arguably ended the slavery in India.” Avoid writing “Everyone thinks Jawahar Lal Nehru is the best Prime Minister in history.”
Make every paragraph in your essay after carefully considering the central theme around which your essay should revolve. Entire content should be in the support to this statement.
Divide the facts that you listed earlier
Divide the earlier listed ideas and facts about the topic by you in the group of three to four. This grouping should be on the basis of the common characteristics of the points. These groups will act as different paragraphs for your essay and the common characteristics will become the topic sentences for your body paragraphs.
Discard ideas that don’t support your main points or the centralized theme. Adding additional ideas will make your writing unfocused, so try to avoid this.
Each group formed should be ranked in the order of importance. Start with the least important point in your first body paragraph and conclude with your strongest point in your last body paragraph.
Write the topic sentences for your paragraphs
You have already identified the central theme for the essay body paragraphs through the topic sentence. Now, use 1 or 2 sentences to support this topic sentence point in your paragraphs.
State the supporting point. Then state why the point is important. Never write something down without explaining its significance.
Have the concluding statement in each paragraph.
Restate the argument that you made in your topic sentence.
Always have a short introduction for essay
For example, use a fact, quote or statistic that relates to your central theme. Your central theme should be the last sentence of your introduction.
Write a conclusion
The conclusion should restate the central theme, briefly summarize the arguments that you made and finish by stating the ultimate point of your essay.
Few points to remember for SBI PO Essay Writing
1. Select the title carefully in which you are perfectly at home. Never choose a title about which you have only ambiguous and non-concrete ideas.
2. You must note down your points or ideas before you start writing the essay.
3. It is suggested to not to go against the title generally.
4. The introduction should be direct and relevant. Do not beat about the bush and deviate from the title too much.
5. Do not have redundant quotations which might can show lack of expression at your end.
6. Avoid using stale idioms and clichés too much, like ‘leaving no stone unturned’ or Rome was not built in a day’.
7. Every main idea supporting the central theme should be in a separate paragraph.
8. Neither give numbers to paragraphs nor any sub-headings.
9. Never use of slang and colloquial terms, rather try to develop a graceful, dignified and literary style.
10. Write in a simple language. Sentences should be crisp and clear.
11. Tone of the essay should preferably be informative and suggestive.
12. Always remember that the beginning and the ending of an essay are very important, so give them the maximum attention.
13. Never have a categorical or one-sided conclusion. The conclusion should always be a balanced one.
14. Write in a beautiful and legible handwriting. A pleasing handwriting is always an asset and it does help to score higher.
15. Do revise your essay after completion so that you have an opportunity to correct the mistakes, if any.