Tips to crack NMAT Verbal Ability Section: The NMAT by GMAC exam is the first non-CAT management entrance exam to kickstart the MBA exam season. The NMAT 2019 is an important national-level MBA entrance exam leading to MBA admissions 2020 in premier MBA colleges like NMIMS Mumbai, SPJIMR Mumbai (PGMPW), ISB (Certificate programme), VIT Vellore, XIM Bhubaneswar and several other MBA colleges in India. The full form of NMAT exam is NMIMS Management Aptitude Test and NMAT is the abbreviated form for Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies (NMIMS) Management Aptitude Test.
To ace a non-CAT exam like the NMAT, Strategy is the key.
All competitive exams require the right strategy to ace the exam, however, it is more crucial to have it when you are writing both management exams. It is important that you finish up your CAT syllabus preparation by Aug-Sept and start writing Mock Tests, preferably an Online NMAT Mock Series.
NMAT Mock Tests should be given once a week and one should immediately start the analysis of the respective weak sections while simultaneously practicing. However, it is extremely important to take at least 5-6 Mocks before you finalise on the right preparation strategy for the NMAT exam.
NMAT 2019: Exam Pattern
The NMAT Question Paper has three sections and the number of questions is different for each section. Also, the NMAT exam expects you to attempt the sectional questions within the allotted time limit. B
Given below are the key components, number of questions and allotted time in NMAT pattern 2019:
|Section Name||Number of questions||Allotted time in minutes|
NMAT 2019: Salient Features of the Exam
- Online CBT: The NMAT 2019 exam is an online computer based test
- MCQ Format: All the questions in NMAT 2019 exam will be of Multiple Choice type (MCQs).
- 120 Questions: The NMAT 2019 exam comprises of 120 questions divided in 3 sections.
- Time Duration: The total time allotted to complete the NMAT exam is 120 minutes (2 hours).
- Choice of Order of Sections: One of the unique features of the NMAT 2019 exam is that test-taker can choose the order of sections. However, the exam pattern strictly expects you to follow the same order once the order of the sections is selected.
- Individually timed sections: In the revised NMAT 2019 exam pattern, each section is individually timed and the candidates have to attempt the questions in the respective section within the allotted sectional time limit.
- No negative marking: The NMAT 2019 exam is sans any penalty of negative marking. Therefore, instead of skipping a question in the question paper, one can make a calculated guess and mark the answer without the fear of a penalty for a wrong answer as there is no negative marking.
- Moderate difficulty exam: The difficulty level of the NMAT exam is not as high as that of CAT and XAT exams.
- Uniform Marking scheme: Another important feature of the NMAT 2019 exam is the uniform marking system. Every correct answer is awarded +1 mark and there is zero marking for the un-attempted questions.
- Review answers: As per the NMAT exam, test takers must review answers of each section within the allotted time before moving to another section of the exam. This should be done as once the candidate closes out of a section, he/she cannot come back to the section.
- 3 Attempts allowed: This is the biggest benefit of the NMAT exam. You can take the NMAT by GMAC exam three times in a given admissions cycle, which gives you the opportunity to improve your score.
- Choice of self-scheduling the NMAT by GMAC exam: It is among one of the few national exams which offer you the liberty to choose your test appointment date, time and test center location.
NMAT 2019: Syllabus of the Verbal Ability section
This NMAT 2019 Syllabus for the Verbal Ability section is based on the important topics from this section in the past few years:
- Para jumbles
- Grammar- Error Spotting
- Sentence Correction
- One word Substitution
- Antonyms & Synonyms
- Sentence Completion
|Topic||Number of questions|
|Reading Comprehension||8 (2 passages of 4 questions each)|
(Synonyms, Antonyms, Analogies )
|Sentence Completion – Prepositions||5|
|Sentence Completion – Vocabulary||4|
NMAT 2019: Tips and Tricks to Solve the Verbal Ability section
Based on the previous years’ NMAT exam, syllabus and exam pattern, the following key takeaways are taken into consideration:
- Since the exam pattern had previously undergone revision and there can be no more updations to it, therefore, one should target nearly 16-18 questions with 13-14 correct responses out of the total 32 questions. This will ensure that you clear the sectional cut-off comfortably.
- You will surely be tempted to maximise your attempts since there is no negative marking in the exam. However, speed is important in this section as you need to solve 32 questions in 22 minutes. Therefore, you should pick and choose questions and not focus on attempting all the questions.
- Ideally, the two Reading Comprehension passages are between easy to moderate level of difficulty with most questions being direct. Since time management is of paramount importance in both this exam and this section, RC passages should be attempted in the end, after attempting all other questions. In case the RC is very lengthy or difficult, it is advisable that you leave it altogether.
- As you can see in the aforementioned table, a strong vocabulary is crucial to obtain a decent score in the NMAT Verbal Section. A lot of questions were vocabulary-based, namely, synonyms, antonyms, analogies and sentence completion.
- Besides the aforementioned tips, Verbal Reasoning questions are also asked in the Reasoning section of the exam. The questions come from topics like statement-arguments, statement-assumptions, statement-conclusion, statement-course of action and critical reasoning. You must take care to prepare these areas thoroughly.
- You should try and solve these questions in 2 rounds. For the first round, attempt the questions which are the least time-consuming and post this, questions like Para Jumbles and RCs should be attempted in the second round.
NMAT 2019: Key takeaways
- The most important topics for the NMAT Verbal Ability section are Reading Comprehension, Vocabulary and Grammar. These topics are important for the CAT exam as well, only that Vocabulary has not been included in the question paper for the past few years.
- The two key elements of the NMAT exam are efficient time management and the right number and questions to be attempted.
- Try and identify the questions which are the least time-consuming and attempt them all in the first go. With adequate practice, you will develop the knack of identifying the right questions and solving them with speed and accuracy.
The NMAT by GMAC exam would definitely open a lot of doors for you through its leading management programs in India. This way, top B-schools get to host the best talent and students also have a ‘moon-door’ to their dreams. Ever since it became a computer-based test in 2009, NMAT by GMAC has been at the forefront of measurement in the country as a valid and reliable predictor of success in graduate business school.